Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Slight reflection

6/19/15
          I'm currently at the Pelican Beach Resort on a private island 45 miles off the coast of Belize. It's pretty darn nice! With the exception of having an outdoor shower that crabs like to join me in, and having to use a 'composting toilet' that cannot be flushed (basically a human litter box), it's the nicest place I've ever been.
          I'm ready to come home. As nice as this island is, I don't enjoy it quite as much as the others do because quite frankly I'm still getting the hang of this Ardmore thing; this isn't my youth group. I absolutely adore the ABC Youth, don't get me wrong. But it's just not home.
          ABC Youth does a lot of really cool stuff that I can't see my youth group ever doing (no offense, haha). But I think the fun gets out of hand for me personally, in that I stop feeling like I'm on a mission trip. I know how important it is to do the relaxing and fun stuff- not everyone has been to Africa twice and plans to travel a lot; this may be the only time some of these kids are ever going to be out of the US! So don't get me wrong- the extra-curricular activities are totally fine with me. It's just (like I said) not what I'm used to.
          This mission trip has been distinctively different from my others; I'm used to evangelistic mission trips where we go from one hut to another sharing the name of Jesus with those who have never heard, whereas here in Belize, almost everyone I have come into contact with already has a relationship with Him, or at least has already heard the story (which is really all that I can do). I think that this trip has shown me a number of things, a few of which I feel are a bit too personal to share with the open internet, but one of them being that I prefer evangelism to alleviating a need. Although I do enjoy doing both.
          I've also noticed that (although Ardmore might have more 'fun' stuff to do) I prefer the calmness that results from being a part of the family of my own church and youth group. I don't know if that will make any sense to someone other than me who reads it, but hey, it's my journal anyway. I shouldn't have to explain myself too much, haha.

Events:
-Finishing out the week with the eyeglass clinic
-Goofing off and having a great time with Pastor Job and his church family. (might I add, their church was the most welcoming and loving church I've ever been to! It was a true display of the global unity that may be found through Christ!)
-Long drive to Pelican beach
-Boat ride to the island (and let me tell you, it was bumpy and I got soaked.)
-Rest and relaxation! (well worth the travel!)

No comments:

Post a Comment